Mangdang Mountain, Shangqiu
(永城市芒砀山旅游景区 yǒng chéng máng dàng shān lyǔ yóu jǐng qū)
Confucius Hill, where Confucius took shelter from the rain and gave lectures, is the only mountain named after Confucius in China. [Photo/mangshan.net]
Mangdang Mountain in Mangshan town, Yongcheng, Henan province, is known as the birthplace of the Han Dynasty (206 BC-AD 220). It is located 4.5 kilometers from Yongcheng North Station on the Zhengzhou-Xuzhou high-speed rail line.
Covering an area of 14 square kilometers, the area is a comprehensive tourist attraction integrating sightseeing, cultural exploration and ecological leisure. It is said that Liu Bang, the eventual founder of the Han Dynasty, slayed a gigantic white serpent that had killed people with its poisonous breath and then started his heroic revolt here.
The scenic area also houses the imperial tombs of King Liang and his queen from the Western Han Dynasty (206 BC-AD 24), which are known as China's largest Han tombs, as well as the largest underground tomb cluster in the world. The Jade Clothes Sewn with Gold Threads unearthed there is widely viewed as a national treasure by scholars and the mural was claimed as the "Dunhuang" in the pre-Dunhuang period.
Scenic Spot Level: AAAAA
Ideal Sightseeing Season: May to early November
Opening Hours: 8:00 -- 18:00 in summer season
8:30 -- 17:00 in winter season
Ticket Price: 90 yuan ($13.06)
① Children below 1.4 meters;
② Disabled persons, active servicemen, tour guides, journalists and those aged 70 or above with valid certificate.
① The elderly between the ages of 60 and 69;
② Full-time students with registered student ID card.
Tour Guide Service: 150 yuan for 1-19 visitors and 200 yuan for 20 to 50 visitors
Parking Fee: 10 yuan per car (small vehicles with 10 seats or less)
15 yuan per car (middle-sized vehicles with 10 to 30 seats)
25 yuan per car (large vehicles with 30 seats or more)
Address: Mangshan town, Yongcheng, Henan province
1. Sightseeing buses are 10 yuan for one-way and 15 yuan for round-trip. Children below 1.2 meters can ride for free but must be accompanied by an adult.
2. Shuttle buses are available from Yongcheng North Station to Mangdang Mountain, and the ticket price is 5 yuan per person.
3. Buses run from 8:30 to 16:30 during spring and winter; 8:30 to 17:30 during summer and autumn.
4. The opening hours of the parking lot are 8:00 to 18:00 during summer and autumn, 8:30 to 17:30 during winter and spring. Visitors can enjoy free parking service within 20 minutes.
5. Various performances are available at the area, including Nuo dances, experience of Han etiquette, ancient techniques of paper making and printing.
Mangshan Temple [Photo/mangshan.net]
The glass skywalk at Mangdang Mountain is the best spot to capture a panoramic view of the tourist area. [Photo/mangshan.net]
Performers wear Nuo masks to dance, showcasing a vivid and interesting picture of Chinese old legends and tales to audiences. [Photo/mangshan.net]